Do you have a small window and are wondering how to hang curtains for small windows? Wonder no more for you are in the right place. In this article, I will explain the best possible way you can easily hang curtains on your small window.
By the end of this article, you will not just learn how to hang curtains for your small window, you will also learn how to hang the curtain so that the window doesn’t look small. With the method I’m going to show you in this article, you can be able to hang curtains on small window and it will make your window look like a large window
Things Needed to Hang Curtains for Small Windows
- Anchors and screws
- Hooks for the curtains
- Curtain rod
- Rod hardware
Before you start following the procedure below, I’ll suggest you read the procedure from beginning to end to help you understand what you are about to do before starting the process.
How to Hang Curtain For Small Windows
- To hang curtains for small windows, the first thing you need to do is to determine how high you want the curtains to be, yet still maintaining the look you want for your room.
- The next thing to do is to measure the top part of the window where you will be installing the rod hardware.
- After you’re done with the measurement, use a pencil or pen to mark the area where you measured.
- It is advisable to install the rod hardware six inches above the window top frame and eight inches to each side. This measurement will create the illusion of a larger window. However, you can of course give the window top frame where you want the rod hardware to be installed the measurement of your choice.
- Now use a drill to make a hole at the marked area you measured earlier.
- Use a hammer to tap the anchor inside the hole you created with the drill and screw the anchor into the wall using a screwdriver.
- Now that the anchor is securely installed on the wall, the next thing is to install the rod hardware to the anchor. Just get the curtain rod and place it on the anchor.
- Make sure to use a level to measure both sides to ensure that both sides of the rods are at the same level. Trust me, you don’t want to install a curtain that will bend sideways. It doesn’t look good in the eyes.
- After you get the exact same level for both rod hardware, use the pencil and give it a mark and keep the hardware rod on the ground.
- Just like you did on the other side, use the drill and make a hole in the marked area. Install an anchor on it and screw it to the wall using a screwdriver.
- The next thing to do is to fix or slide the drape or the curtains on the curtain rod. Before you do this, ensure that the curtains are ready to be hanged. All the hooks and rings should be fixed to the curtain. Now connect the curtain to the rod. You can choose curtains that touch the floor.
- Now, get the rod up to the window. Place the rod on the anchor you’d already installed earlier.
- While placing the rod on the anchor, ensure to leave one ring on the outside of the anchor, that is before the anchor, let one ring be before and after it on both sides. The rest should be inside the anchor.
- After the rod is placed on the anchor, try and tighten the anchor more with your screwdriver.
Congratulations, you have successfully hang curtains on small windows. The procedure above should take less than 30 minutes to successfully hang the curtain if you know what you are doing. This also proves how easy it is to do this by yourself.
You don’t need a professional or a licensed contractor to hang curtains for small windows for you. With the method above, you can do it by yourself.
Moreover, as reiterated earlier, the measurement illustrated above will give your window the illusion of a large window, that is, to make it look as if it is a large window. Peradventure you don’t want the same measurement, you can give the window the measurement of your choice. After all, it is your window.
Window Curtain Hanging Mistakes to Avoid
While buying and hanging curtains to your windows, there are several mistakes you need to avoid to get the best out of the curtains. These mistakes are:
Not Knowing the Right Measurement
Measurement is very important when it comes to installing curtains on windows, If you make the mistakes of taking the wrong measurement, it will totally affect the look of the curtains after it is installed. So take the right measurement before and when installing the window curtains.
The Type of Curtains to Buy
Not knowing the exact type of curtain to buy for your window is one of the biggest mistakes people can make. Depending on the nature of the window and how often you will be opening it, buy curtains that will enable you to freely open it anytime you wish to.
Buying Curtains that are too Short
In this context, buying curtains that are too short is a very big mistake you should try to avoid. Imagine buying short curtains when your intention is to install long curtains to your short window. It will change the whole idea and can even prompt you to buy another long curtain. So it’s better to take note of this at an early stage before buying any curtain for your windows.
Not Buying a Washable Material
While buying curtains for your windows, always buy one that is washable. When I said washable, I mean, curtains you can easily wash either with hands or with a washing machine.
Avoid Hanging Wrinkled Curtains
If you have curtains that are wrinkled, do not hang them. Iron them first and straighten them before hanging them on your windows. Hanging wrinkled curtains is bad. It’s just like wearing a wrinkled cloth. You know how it looks on you, that’s exactly how a wrinkled curtain will look in your room.
Since you’ve just learned how to hang curtains for small windows, don’t forget to take all the precautions while doing it to avoid making a mistake that will make the whole thing look bad.