Curtains are a vital part of interior decoration to a room, it is as important as the chairs, flooring, ceiling, and other furniture. However, choosing a curtain for a house sometimes can be a difficult task especially for those that don’t have a good sense of color and fashion.
Some people are ok with whatever they get in the market as a curtain, while some others are so careful when they go for curtain shopping because to them it reflects their standard, interior decoration sense, and fashion sense to anyone that come across them.
While choosing a curtain for your house, either for a new house or a house you are about to renovate, there are certain things to pay attention to before you choose the type of curtains that will match your house.
The room size, height, painting, interior decorations at the home, environment, floor type, etc are all important factors to determine the best type of curtain suitable for your house. Once you make a mistake on curtains; your house may turn into another thing altogether.
Nevertheless, the question is, should sheers be the same length as curtains? Getting the curtains and sheers to be of the same length depends solely on choice and what you want both window coverings to serve as. If you are to use sheers together with full floor-length curtains, you can make them be exactly of the same length or just an inch shorter than the full floor-length curtains, or measure the sheer to be of equal length with the sill while your curtain puddles down to the floor. In all, the length of sheers to a curtain depends on choice and how you want the room to look or appear.
Do not make the mistake of making the sheers and curtains of the same length if you stay in an extreme temperature environment as this may not be as convenient for your room as for those living in a lower temperature and weather-friendly environment.
Table of Contents
Importance of Length to Curtains
Length is very important to curtains. In some cases, the length of your curtain would bring out the dignity and class of your room; it would make it look dressy and more attractive. If the curtains are short they would just make the room look normal, casual, and traditional and may not give you that relaxation and advanced mood you have ever desired.
Below is the importance of length to curtains:
- The longer the curtains the more beautiful they look.
- Long curtains are easier to maintain.
- Long curtains are easy to open and close.
- Long curtains look more coordinated and dramatic
- Long curtains look more relaxed and formal
- Short curtains look more casual than longer ones
- Short curtains adjust and fit into any room type
- Short curtains are easy to wash and remove
- Short curtains are easy to fix
- Short curtains do not require folding while cleaning the room
Should Sheer Curtains be the same length as Curtains?
If you are to use sheers together with full floor-length curtains, you can make them be exactly of the same length or just an inch shorter than the full floor-length curtains, or measure the sheer to be of equal length with the sill while your curtain puddles down to the floor.
However, the length of sheers to a curtain depends on choice and how you want the room to look or appear. Having your sheer curtain be of the same length as the curtain all depends on what function you want it to for both the curtain and window.
Sheer curtains are very important to a house; they can either be used alone or added to curtains to give your room more beauty and class. They are best to be used in entryways, hallways, and stairwells. It is better to use sheers as a constant backdrop for your room because they allow lightning and other natural things to shade into the room without hiding the beauty of them and the house too.
Just like curtains too, it is important to have to know the best length for sheers before getting them. The length of sheers is dependent on their use in the room. If you desire to get the beauty of waves from sheers, you must add double or triple length to your window depending on how beautiful and glamorous you want the sheers to appear.
Why Should Sheers be the Same Length as Curtains?
Additional Forms of a Wave to the Curtain
It is already known that sheers come in waves and make the room look great. When fixed same length with the curtain brings out extra beauty in the curtain, as the waves from the sheer curtains would always reflect the beauty of the room from the outside view, no one would be able to detect the difference between both curtain and sheers.
An Additional Form of Protection to the Curtain
Sheers brings out the elegant look in curtains when they are of the same length especially for full floor-length curtains, it makes it easier for the curtains not to fade off easily, get dirty easily, no much stress while washing the curtains, and makes it easier for you to maintain the curtain.
Gives Protection to the Window When the Curtain is Open
Sometimes due to weather and room temperature, one might decide to open the curtain to allow fresh air and the gently cool evening breeze to come into the room and get everyone relaxed. Having your sheer to be the same size as the curtain would help add more protection to the window.
People outside would not be able to see or notice what is going on in the room; it will also prevent insects and reptiles from crawling into the room. In other words, it will provide the same protection and privacy function as a full-length curtain because they are of the same size.
Filters Lightning in the Room When the Curtain is Open
Sheer curtains that are the same size as the curtain would help the filtering of natural lightning in the room when the curtain is folded or opened. It will prevent the harsh sun from coming in and shade them into becoming a form of lightning to the room, without obstructing the look of the room, protects the furniture and other interior decorations against damage from the harsh sunlight at any time.
How To Measure a Window for Sheers?
There are two major ways to determine the measurement of a window for your sheers, they are:
- Inside Mount: Sheers mounted inside are fixed directly to the window frame and this helps you get a neat look at the window.
- Outside Mount: Sheers in the outside mount are the type of sheers mounted either to the wall, ceiling, or the molding around the window itself, this helps in making the window look bigger than they are, and helps to cover ugly windows or moldings around the window. Another reason to use an outside mount is when your window is not deep enough to accommodate an inside mount for the sheers.
How to Measure an Inside Mount of the Window for your Sheers
- Use a steel measuring tape and not the normal tailoring tape or wooden tape
- If using an inside mount for the sheers, ensure your window is measured in four places (measure across the window, and three steps top to bottom of the window).
- Measuring across the window entails measuring the full top of the window in a horizontal style (1/8th of an inch of the window, this would serve as the width of the window size). The three steps top to bottom measurement would be repeating the same thing you did earlier to the left, middle and right sides of the windows vertically.
- (Round up this measurement 1/8th of an inch of the sides of the window, take the one that measured longer than the other two, this particular number would serve as the height of the window).
- Measure the fabric to be at least 1/3rd or 1/8th narrower than the width of the window to enable the window bracket well fixed before mounting the sheer.
- If the above measurement creates a gap, then consider doing an outside mount with the sheers for another width that would enable overlapping while mounting the sheers.
How to Measure the Outside Mount of the Window Size for your Sheers
- Use a steel measuring tape and not the normal tailoring tape or wooden tape
- Take only two measurements, first the width (ensure the fabric is measured at least 1/3rd or 1/8th more narrow than the width of the window)
- It’s better to add 3 inches more on both top sides of the window for good coverage, this serves as the window width. While measuring the height, give a little space for overlapping.
No window is of the same size and pattern as the other, that’s why it is important to measure each window properly before installing the window sheers.
Making your sheers and curtains be of the same length depends on what you want, where you live, the type and architectural features of the room, and what both window coverings are to serve for. If you live in a hot and easily wet environment, it may not be too convenient to make the sheers and curtains to be of the same length, but if your house is in a weather and nature-friendly environment, it may not be a bad idea to get the same length of sheers and curtains for the room. All are dependent on some features and reasons highlighted above in this article.