A regular adage in the Nigerian pidgin parlance says “water no get enemy”; which means, water does not have an enemy. This is the fact as water can serve a different purpose to so many people in various places. The use of water as part of human life cannot be overemphasized.
The cost of toilet paper these days can be so alarming and at a time one would wonder what can I use as an alternative for this, the answer is not too far from you, you can make use of water as an alternative for the regular tissue paper.
Following the article, you would be enlightened on everything you need to know about making use of water as an alternative for toilet paper after using the toilet.
Can You Use Water Instead of Toilet Paper?
Yes, water can be used instead of toilet paper. Using water instead of toilet paper is recommended because it is hygienic with no side effects and less friction against the anus. Water will create less friction toilet paper would have created if you use it to clean your anus after defecating.
Water serves so many purposes and uses to so many people in their different homes and the correct answer to this question is Yes, you can use water instead of making use of toilet paper after using the toilet.
There are many reasons behind this and they are far much better than making use of toilet paper.
Using water is very hygienic. There is no side effect of making use of water instead of toilet paper, you would perfectly be able to wash off everything you intend to wash off.
Another good reason is that with water you would never be able to have any form of friction when you use it in the toilet. It is as free as whatever you could think of, this is because there are no particles in it and as such, would serve you the purpose of what the toilet paper would have served you.
Guide to Using Water Instead of Toilet Paper
There are several options of making use of water when you run out of toilet paper in your restroom, we are going to highlight them here for you then it would be left for you to decide the option you think would work better for you.
The guides of using water instead of toilet paper are as follows:
1. Water Bottle
With a 500ml bottle of water, you would perfectly have yourself cleaned up after making use of the toilet, and the good thing about it is that they are readily available anywhere you find yourself in. This is more advisable when you make use of the public toilet, go with your own bottled water for more safety.
2. Lota Method
Many people make use of this method and it entails using the tip of the lota to get yourself cleaned up after making use of the restroom, you point the lota toward your anus to use it. The lota is made of polished copper or brass but is now made in plastic.
3. The Tabo
This is another way of using water to clean instead of toilet paper. With this method, you can make use of a small plastic to scoop water from the bucket of water and pour it over your anus until you feel like you have perfectly cleaned up yourself. It is very important to wash your hands with soap and water and also use alcohol-based hand sanitizers after doing it for your safety.
4. The bidet
This is another method of cleaning up instead of the regular toilet paper, it works well, it is located at the center of the toilet directed to your anus and you have control of the bidet with the help of the nozzle in it to ensure you wash well.
Pros of Using Water Instead of Toilet Paper
The pros of using water instead of toilet paper are as follows:
- It is Hygienic: Water is hygienic and there is no side effect when you use it to wash off your anus after making use of the toilet. This is so important and one of the major things everyone would want to know.
- Does not Attract Any Friction: Toilet papers can cause some forms of friction in the anus and the long run cause some skin rashes and other damages to the skin, but the reverse is the case when it comes to water, there is no presence of friction and there would be nothing like skin rashes or itches when you make use of water in the restroom.
- Easy and More Accessible to Use: It is so easy and more accessible for anyone to make use of. Toilet papers can be scarce. There can be a toilet paper shortage but the case with the scarcity of water is very rare and it could be sorted out as easily as possible. Water is in every home and people make use of it o a daily basis. This is one good important thing about water. Its presence is easy and more accessible to find.
- Washes off all particles: Using water in the toilet would help you in cleaning off all particles on your body after making use of the restroom. You would not have any form of stain later on either your clothes or body. It is the perfect means of wiping off everything on your body.
- Cheap to Use: This is what everyone would want to go for, something cheaper that would serve them the purpose of what the expensive one would have served them as well. With water, you would not be spending the extra cost of buying toilet papers and all that, since there is water at home then you are good to go in saving more cost.
Cons of Using Water Instead of Toilet Paper
Despite how good something can be, there is the possibility of having cons as well. Below are some of the cons of using water instead of toilet paper:
- Water Splash or Mess: Water can mess the floor up and the toilet seat would get stained if you are not too careful enough while using water instead of toilet paper, not only would it mess up the floor and toilet seat, it can also mess you up and you would see your body stained with water after using the toilet.
- Frequent Towel Laundry: After using water to wash, there must be a designated towel you would use to clean up yourself and make everywhere look dry, then this would attract frequent laundry for you because you must always ensure that the certain towel you are making use of is always neat to avoid attracting some forms of germs in them and affecting your health.
- Getting Wet: Your body would be getting wet anytime you make use of water in the toilet, this is something you would never run away from, be it in the cold winter morning or evening your body is set to get cold and wet immediately you use water in the restroom in place of the regular toilet paper. This is not good especially if you are in a public toilet far from your home.
- Not Been Able to Sleep: So many people would become uncomfortable after making use of water instead of toilet paper especially at night. They find it so difficult to continue with their normal sleeping and this would make them keep awake all through the night, not everyone likes to experience such.
- Extra Cost of Buying Detergents: You would have to keep buying detergents because the towels you use in drying your body must be washed, the toilet seat and floor would always be mopped and kept clean to avoid some forms of germs which are not good for the health.
Which Countries Use Water Instead of Toilet Paper?
Countries like Tunisia, Morocco, Egypt, Jordan, and some parts of Western and Northern Nigeria make use of water instead of toilet paper after using the toilet. It has become part of their culture or norm that governs them anytime any day.
However, it is important to note that anyone can easily use water to clean after using the toilet especially when there is a shortage of toilet paper. It is not a thing of a particular country. If people are interviewed, you will come to understand that several people in the United States made use of water during the toilet paper shortage in the US. So, it is not a thing of one country or the other.
To some people, using water in the restroom instead of the normal toilet paper looks so awkward and archaic, they see it as dirty and they would not be able to contend with it so they prefer the regular toilet paper. This can be as a result of where they were born, brought up and the type of family they find themselves in.
There are other sets of people that strongly believe that water makes everything better instead of toilet paper and they have several logics to back it up with. This can also be as a result of culture, norms, or where they grew up.
But whatever works for you and you think is better for you, it would be good to try both and then judge to know what works better for you and your household and also check the cost of making use of the two before drawing a concluding line on what is better to be used.