Can You Get Carbon Monoxide From a Propane Heater

Can You Get Carbon Monoxide From a Propane Heater?

Yes, you can get carbon monoxide from a propane heater if there is a lack of oxygen where the propane heater is being used. Propane heaters produce carbon monoxide when they burn with incomplete combustion, therefore, exposing yourself to the heater without enough ventilation can lead to carbon monoxide poisoning.

Carbon monoxide is one of the dangerous gas that kills without mercy. It is very dangerous that it can silently kill someone without the person knowing exactly what is happening to him. That is how dangerous carbon monoxide is.

Propane heaters are those heating appliances that are made to either heat a medium or a large space. They are known to give off carbon monoxide when they run. Therefore, allowing enough ventilation inside the space where a propane heater is used is the way to use propane heaters safely.

Can You Get Carbon Monoxide Poisoning From a Propane Heater?

Propane heaters produce carbon monoxide when heating, therefore, you can get carbon monoxide poisoning from a propane heater if there is no enough ventilation in the space where the propane heater is being used.

However, there are two kinds of propane heaters. The outdoor propane heaters and the indoor propane heaters. While the indoor propane heaters are specially made to be used indoors, outdoor propane heaters are specially made to be used outdoors.

Outdoor propane heaters are known to produce more carbon monoxide than indoor propane heater and the reason is that it is made to be used outside. The manufacturers of outdoor propane heaters made the heater for outside use where there is enough ventilation. Therefore, irrespective of the amount of carbon monoxide it produces, the ventilation outside will dilute it and make it less harmful to human health.

That is is why it is not good to use an outdoor propane heater indoors especially if there is no enough ventilation indoors to carry the carbon monoxide away. Therefore using such a heater indoors when you are not supposed to, can produce too much carbon monoxide if there is no enough ventilation which can lead to carbon monoxide poisoning or death.

Even if you use an indoor propane heater indoors without enough ventilation inside the room, it will still produce carbon monoxide which if you continue to inhale without enough oxygen can lead to carbon monoxide poisoning.

People often asked how much ventilation is need for a propane heater? Well, whether it is an indoor propane heater or an outdoor propane heater, the fact remains that you need enough ventilation for the propane heater to be harmless. There is no specific amount, the air has to be enough.

For example, indoor propane heaters are safe to be used in the garage but if you use such a heater in an enclosed garage for a long time when the garage window and door is closed, you are likely to get poisoned.

It is true that indoor propane heaters are made to be used indoors therefore are made in such a way it is safe to be used indoors. Don’t get carried away by that. Remember, your health first. Therefore, even though indoor propane heaters are safe indoors, it still produces carbon monoxide and the only way to be safe to ensure that there is enough ventilation in the space where the heater is being used.

Why Do Propane Heaters Give Off Carbon Monoxide?

The reason why propane heaters give off carbon monoxide is because of a lack of oxygen when burning. A propane heater produces carbon monoxide with incomplete combustion when it is burning where there is a lack of oxygen, less than a 24:1 air to propane ratio.

How to Avoid Getting Carbon Monoxide Poisoning from Propane Heaters

Allow Enough Ventilation: Allowing enough ventilation in the space where the propane heater is used is one of the possible ways to avoid getting poisoned. As long as the oxygen level in the space where the propane heater is used is greater than the carbon monoxide, you may not get poisoned. Therefore, open the windows for enough ventilation to stop carbon monoxide poisoning.

Ensure the Propane Heater is OK: Using a faulty propane heater can cause a lot of problems because it may produce more carbon monoxide than it originally does. Therefore, always ensure that your propane heater is good with no fault and if you suspect a carbon monoxide leak in your house, you can call the fire department to have your house checked for carbon monoxide.

Follow All the Safety Rules: When you purchase a propane heater, there will be a manual telling you how to use the product, where to use it, and the safety tips when using this. Ensure that you follow all the safety tips to avoid using the propane heater where it is not supposed to be used, therefore encouraging it to produce more carbon monoxide than it should. An example is using outdoor propane heaters indoors. Don’t do that.

Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headache, dizziness, vomiting, confusion, weakness, and an upset stomach. However, if you are using your heater in your home and you suddenly start feeling any of these symptoms, there is a chance that you are suffering from the poison. Quickly go outside for fresh air.

Please whenever you feel you’re suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning, please visit the doctor. Go to the hospital and have the doctor check on you especially if you’re exposed to carbon monoxide for a very long time. Do not keep quiet. It can lead to death if care is not taken.

I have seen many people with carbon monoxide killed and it’s not funny at all. It is worse in a home because if it wants to kill, it will kill everybody at home that is exposed to it. It may be while everyone is sleeping. The people I know that was killed by this deadly gas died while sleeping. So, always have your house checked for gas leaks. Very important.

Final Thoughts

All propane heaters produce carbon monoxide when burning. Since carbon monoxide is a gas that does not have any odor, color, or taste, you are advised to use your propane heater in a space with enough ventilation to avoid getting carbon monoxide poisoning.