Are you planning to paint your tiles and are wondering about the kind of paint for ceramic tile? The fact that you searched and read this post means that you know that bathroom tiles can be painted. I said so because I have received so many questions from people asking me whether they can paint their bathroom tiles.
However, if you will paint your bathroom tiles, you need to use paint that fits the tiles. Not all paints are suitable for ceramic tiles, talkless of bathroom tiles where water, humidity, and moisture are the order of the day. For this reason, we will be discussing the various paint for ceramic tile, the type of paint suitable for ceramic tiles, and many more.
What Kind of Paint to Use On Ceramic Tiles?
Epoxy paints, epoxy acrylic paints, enamel paints, latex paint, and acrylic latex paint are the kind of paint to use on ceramic tiles. Ensure to clean the tiles thoroughly, apply a good amount of quality adhesion primer before applying any of the aforementioned paint above, and while painting, ensure to apply two or three coats to get an even uniform finish.
These are the kind of paints to use on ceramic tiles; as long as you apply a good amount of quality adhesion primer before painting your bathroom tiles, you will achieve an outstanding result.
Best Paints For Ceramic Tiles
Here are the lists of best paint for ceramic tile:
1. Benjamin Moore’s Floor & Patio Paints
Benjamin Moore’s Floor & Patio Paints are one of the most recommended paint for ceramic tile. It is easy to apply and comes in two options; Benjamin Moore’s floor & patio low sheen enamel paint and Benjamin Moore’s floor & patio high gloss enamel paint. Please choose the one you prefer and use it for your bathroom tiles.
Pros of Benjamin Moore’s Floor & Patio Paints
- It is easy to apply
- It gives a smooth uniform finishing.
- It is resistant to soap, detergent, grease, and oil.
- It is durable
- It can resist marring and scratching and delivers a lasting finish.
- It is environmentally friendly.
Benjamin Moore’s Floor & Patio Paints are practically recommended to be used in basements, bathrooms, porches, patios, showrooms, breezeways, and any light industrial application.
2. Rust-Oleum Tub and Tile Refinishing Kit
Rust-Oleum Tub and Tile Refinishing Kit are among the best paint for ceramic tile. It is durable and available in three colors: white, biscuit, and almond. It is a two-coat paint that needs to be mixed before use. Meaning that before using Rust-Oleum Tub and Tile Refinishing Kit to paint your ceramic bathroom tiles, you should first mix the two before applying them to the tiles. You must have to do this if you want to get the best result you desire.
Before using Rust-Oleum Tub and Tile Refinishing Kit for your bathroom tiles, make sure there is adequate ventilation in your bathroom. I trust you have either a bathroom window or an exhaust fan. If there is a bathroom window, ensure to open it and open the door while doing the painting work. It would be best if you had good ventilation to get a good result from the paint.
Pros of Rust-Oleum Tub & Tile Refinishing Kit
- One advantage of using Rust-Oleum Tub & Tile Refinishing Kit for your ceramic tiles is that it can make your bathroom tiles look fresh and smooth. It gives a clean finish to tiles that someone will never believe the tiles were painted except an expert.
- Rust-Oleum Tub & Tile Refinishing Kit is the kind of paint that dries in a few hours, meaning that you will be able to use your bathroom in no time with this kind of paint. Painting a bathroom can be frustrating because you have to wait until whenever the paint dries.
- Considering the nature of bathrooms and how your bathroom may not have good ventilation, it may take a few days before you can comfortably start using the bathroom. However, with Rust-Oleum paint, it dries faster, and the faster it dries, the faster you start using your bathroom again.
- Remember when I said that epoxy paints are one of the paints that can be used on tiles? Well, guess what? Rust-Oleum Tub & Tile Refinishing Kit is a 2-part epoxy acrylic, and one advantage of this is that it is made to withstand moisture and resistance to corrosion.
- It would be best if you had paint that can resist moisture and corrosion. The reason is that, because of the nature of the bathroom and the things we do inside which involves the use of water, you need a paint that can withstand water, and won’t rust so quickly and
- The paint will renew your tiles entirely and makes them look new again. I believe that is the essence of painting the tiles in the first place.
How to Use Rust-Oleum Tub & Tile Refinishing Kit
Using Rust-Oleum Tub &Tile Refinishing Kit is very easy and simple. All you have to do is mix the parts the paint comes with differently before mixing it with the main paint. For example, mix the first and second parts differently for 2 minutes before mixing them. Once you have mixed everything, ensure to use it before 6 hours to avoid stories that touch.
After you applied the first coat, wait for 1 to 2 hours before applying the second coat. This depends on the amount of ventilation coming inside your bathroom or basement. If the ventilation is okay, you can recoat in one hour, but if it’s not, you wait for 2 hours before applying the second coat.
If you want to recoat it for the third time, you have to still wait for 1 to 2 hours. However, when you are done painting, ensure to wait for three days before using the bathroom or exposing it to water. Please, it’s important not to use the bathroom for days, if possible, seven days, so that the paint will dry very well before exposing it to water.
3. White Knight Tile & Laminate Paint
Someone asked, ‘can you use white knight tile paint on floor tiles? And the answer is no. White Knight Tile & Laminate Paint is suitable for ceramic wall tiles but should not be used on floor tiles where water pooling occurs. You can use it in your bathroom, kitchen, bathroom, and laundry.
White Knight Tile & Laminate Paint is my number one recommended paint for ceramic tile, laminate, and melamine surfaces, including shower recesses, cupboards, benchtops, and splashbacks.
However, it is important to note that White Knight Tile & Laminate Paint is not suitable for floors, whether the bathroom or room floor. Please do not use it to paint the floor tiles of your bathroom. You can use it to paint the wall and not the floor. However, if you wish to use it for your kitchen, make sure not to use the paint in areas exposed to naked flames.
Pros of White Knight Tile & Laminate Paint
- The first noticeable advantage of this paint is that it comes in different colors. There are several colors to choose from. It has more than ten different colors.
- Another advantage of the paint is that it resists microbial growth.
- It gives you tile a satin or gloss finish.
Cons of White Knight Tile & Laminate Paint
- One notable disadvantage of White Knight Tile & Laminate Paint is that it is not suitable for floor tiles.
- Another disadvantage is that the paint is only suitable only in vertical free-draining surfaces where water pooling does not happen.
- Since it should not be used in areas exposed to naked flames, I cannot use it for my kitchen wall.
How to Apply White Knight Tile & Laminate Paint
- Clean the tile surfaces as usual
- Make sure to stir the paint thoroughly before application. You are mandated to stir the paint in a circular lifting motion for at least 5 minutes before using it, and while using, continue to stir it at regular intervals.
- Use a quality microfiber roller to apply the paint in a zig-zag fashion to ensure even coverage.
- The paint is expected to dry in 2 hours. However, you are expected to recoat in 6 hours.
4. Xim Tile Doc Epoxy Acrylic Coating Aerosol
Xim Tile Doc Epoxy Acrylic Coating Aerosol is another best paint for ceramic tiles. It is an epoxy acrylic paint with materials that enables it to stick when used on bathroom tiles. Because of the bathroom nature and how often we use water in the bathroom, the company made the paint to hold up to cold and hot soapy water.
Apart from bathroom tiles, Xim Tile Doc Epoxy Acrylic Coating Aerosol can still be used worn porcelain bathtubs, sinks, and shower areas. It promises to give it a long-lasting, beautiful appearance.
Advantages of Xim Tile Doc Epoxy Acrylic Coating Aerosol
- One advantage of using Xim Tile Doc Epoxy Acrylic Coating Aerosol is that it is meant to withstand cold and hot soapy water. Meaning that even if you use it for your bathroom floor or wall tiles, it will still be able to last longer despite how much water it is exposed to.
- Xim Tile Doc Epoxy Acrylic Coating Aerosol comes in a spray can. It’s spray paint, which made it easier to apply. You have to stress yourself too much to apply the paint. The spray can is there to do the job for you.
- Xim Tile Doc Epoxy Acrylic Coating Aerosol is durable. It will last for a very long time for you because it is made to bond strongly to porcelain and ceramic surfaces.
- With Xim Tile Doc Epoxy Acrylic Coating Aerosol paint, you can easily save money from buying new tiles. Tiles are very expensive, especially when you are buying in a large quantity. But with Xim Tile Doc Epoxy Acrylic Coating Aerosol paint, you need to get a few of it and use it to give your bathroom a new look it deserves.
Disadvantages of Xim Tile Doc Epoxy Acrylic Coating Aerosol
- The one noticeable disadvantage of Xim Tile Doc Epoxy Acrylic Coating Aerosol is it only comes in white color. Some may not be comfortable painting their bathroom floor tiles white.
- The second disadvantage is that it cannot be used for galvanized metal or other surfaces. Meaning that it is not suitable to be used on any galvanized ducts for the bathroom exhaust fan.
5. Valspar Terracotta Touch
Another paint for ceramic tile is Valspar Terracotta Touch. It comes with texturizing properties, which enables you to spray the paint in multiple thin layers. The paint is also suitable to be used for glasses, wood, metal, and plastic. Unlike the white knight tile paint, you can use this for any galvanized metal.
Advantages of Valspar Terracotta Touch
- One noticeable advantage of Valspar Terracotta Touch is that it dries faster. It is expected to dry under 1 hour, but you must make sure you apply the paint in a highly ventilated area.
Disadvantages of Valspar Terracotta Touch
- One noticeable disadvantage of Valspar Terracotta Touch is that it is difficult to use indoors because it is a spray paint mist. However, you can apply with precautions or call a licensed painter to do the job for you if you know you can’t handle it well.
- You have to spray in multiple thin layers rather than one thick layer if you want to get the desired finish you desire.
- It is only used in well-ventilated areas
6. Valspar Premium Enamel Spray Paint
If you’re not comfortable using any of the paint mentioned above, you can go for Valspar Premium Enamel Spray Paint. It is suitable for ceramic tiles. It sprays out ultra-smooth finishing, giving your tiles the flawless coverage you’re looking for. Apart from ceramic tiles, you can also use this paint on stone, terracotta, and more for flat, satin, or gloss finishes.
Advantages of Valspar Premium Enamel Spray Paint
- It is very easy to apply. The large finger pad that comes with the paint reduces the effort needed to paint by 33%, making it easier for you to apply the paint on your bathroom tiles.
- You don’t have to wait too long before applying the second coat. You can apply in an hour, etc.
- It dries very fast
- Valspar Premium Enamel Spray Paint is water and scratch-resistant. With this paint, you won’t be worried about your bathroom cleaning products scratching the paint while cleaning.
- Since the paint is water-resistant, it is ideal to use in moisture-related areas such as bathrooms, kitchen, laundry room, etc.
- The paint comes in 47 different premium colors, including three metallics. Please choose the color you are satisfied with and apply it to your bathroom tiles.
7. Epoxy-Coat Floor Coating Kit
Are you wondering what paint to use for your ceramic tiles? Epoxy-Coat Floor Coating Kit is one of the best paints good for tiles. The paint is from Epoxy-Coat and was made in the United States.
Advantages of Epoxy-Coat Floor Coating Kit
- It is durable
- It doesn’t have much odor
- It is slip-resistant, which makes it perfect to use for bathroom tile floors
- It is easy to apply
- It can resist chemical
- It can resist salts
- It can resist oil
- It can resist hot tires
How to Paint Ceramic Tiles
- Clean the Tiles: Before painting ceramic tiles, you need first to clean the tiles thoroughly. You can use White Knight & Laminate Cleaner or grime-busting trisodium phosphate cleaner (TSP). Mix a half cup of TSP with a gallon of water and use.
- Wear Hand Gloves and Facemasks: While using the TSP, ensure you’re protected because TSP is a powerful chemical. Wear very heavy long-hand gloves, use a facemask, cover your nose, and ensure adequate ventilation inside the bathroom while you clean.
- Apply Painter’s Masking Tape: Before you start painting, ensure to cover those areas you do not want the paint to touch, such as edges and borders, with masking tape. It is very important to do this if you want to see a clean-finished job. This is crucial, especially if your bathtub is closer to the wall.
- Fix Cracked Walls: Doing this is important for both walls and tiles. Check if there are any cracked walls or tiles and use gravel poly filler to fill them up before applying them.
- Sand The Tiles: Sanding the tiles is the second thing to do after you must have thoroughly cleaned the tiles to remove dirt, dust, oil, and grease. Ensure to use an orbital palm sander with fine-grit sandpaper to do the sanding, removing the tiles’ every glossy finish.
- Prime the Tiles: You can use White Knight & Laminate Primer or any high adhesion primer to prime the tiles. Priming the tiles is important so that the paint will not peel or flake in no distant time. Ensure to use a roller to apply the primer and allow it to dry before applying the paints.
- Paint the Tiles: After the prime is dried, the next thing to do is paint the tiles using any paint for ceramic tile explained above. All of them are good, but I recommend White Knight Tile & Laminate paint. Please apply with a roller and allow it to dry for 2 hours and recoat in 6 hours. If the weather is cold or no quality ventilation in the bathroom, leave it for a little bit longer before applying the second coat. Paint evenly and ensure the paint is distributed evenly to avoid leaving any excesses.
- Allow the Paint to Dry: After applying the last coating you need for the tiles, do not use the bathroom for one week to enable the tiles to dry very well. Don’t be in a rush to use the bathroom to avoid stories that touch.
However, if you are using White Knight Tile & Laminate paint for your ceramic tiles, you need to sand the tiles again before applying the second coat:
- Allow the paint to dry for 6 hours after applying the first coat
- After 6 hours, give the tiles a light sanding using 600 degrees sandpaper or any sandpaper you have
- Stir the paint again and apply the second coat.
You can choose any of the paint explained in this article to paint your ceramic wall. If you cannot do the painting by yourself or if you will not do a clean job on the tiles, call a licensed painter to do the job for you. It’s better a professional did the painting for you and give you a clean desired job than you doing rough work.