Choosing the best epoxy paint for garage floor can be challenging, especially if it’s the first time you are doing something like that. There are several other paints that are suitable to be used for garage floors, but epoxy paints are said to be the best.
When buying paint for your garage floor, you should consider buying paints made to be used on garage floors. It is not as if other paint will not work well on garage floors. They may work well; they may not. But buying paints that were made specifically for garage floors is the best. However, the question now is what epoxy paint is? And how do you know epoxy paints that were made for garage floors?
Epoxy paints are types of paint that can be used on various surfaces for a smoother finish. To know if a particular epoxy paint was made for garage floors, check the paint’s name to see if the manufacturer specified ‘garage’ on the paint’s container. You can also find out by checking the description of the paint. There, the manufacture will tell you the surfaces you should use the paint on.
Best Epoxy Paints for Garage Floor
- Rust-Oleum RockSolid Polycuramine Garage Floor Kit
- Rust-Oleum EpoxyShield Garage Floor Coating
- Behr Premium Concrete & Garage Floor Paint
- Supercoat Stone Epoxy Floor Coating
- Daich DaiHard 100 Industrial Strength Epoxy Floor Coating Kit
- Coloredepoxies Epoxy Resin Coating
- Drylok E1 1-Part Epoxy Floor Paint
Rust-Oleum RockSolid Polycuramine Garage Floor Kit is one of the best epoxy paint for garage floor. Unlike other epoxy paints, Rust-Oleum RockSolid Polycuramine Garage Floor Kit was made to be used on garage floors. Ensure to apply this paint under 40˚-90˚F temperature to get an outstanding result.
Advantages of Using Rust-Oleum RockSolid Polycuramine Garage Floor Kit
- It will resist any salt, oil, gas, and other harsh chemicals that will come in contact with your garage floor.
- It will resist any form of cracking on the floor
- It will resist any form of peeling
- It is straightforward to mix
- It will give your garage floor a long-lasting finish
- It is virtually VOC free making it ideal for garage floors
- With the high-gloss finish, it will give your garage floor a showroom quality floor
Rust-Oleum RockSolid Polycuramine Garage Floor Kit comes in two sizes:
- 1Car Kit (76 fl oz) which can cover up to 200-250 sq ft
- 2.5 Car Kit (152 fl oz) which can cover up to 450-500 sq ft
Rust-Oleum RockSolid Polycuramine Garage Floor Kit Contents
- Decorative Color Chips
- Concrete Etch
- Foam Roller
- Stir Stick
- Pre-Tinted Polycuramine Burst Pouch
Rust-Oleum EpoxyShield Garage Floor Coating is another epoxy paint for garage floor. Rust-Oleum Epoxy Shield Garage Floor Coating promises to give your garage floor a clean, glossy quality floor. It comes in 1 car kit (120 fl oz), covering up to 200-250 sq ft.
Advantages of Rust-Oleum EpoxyShield Garage Floor Coating
- It is 5x stronger than 1-part floor paint, meaning that it will give your garage floor the robust painting features you desire.
- It gives a glossy finish
- It is durable
- It will protect your garage floor
- It does not peel
- It has a low odor and VOC
- It is easy to mix and apply
- It is easy to maintain. Just clean with soap and water
- It can resist abrasions, stains, and wear.
Ask any licensed painter around; he will tell you that this paint is one of the best epoxy paint you can ever use for your garage floor. As the implies, the paint was specially made to be used on garage floors.
Before applying this paint to your garage floor, make sure to follow the procedures necessary to achieve a better result. Meanwhile, if you want the best result from this paint, you may want to topcoat it with a clear premium coating for ultra protection and a high gloss finish.
3. Behr Premium Concrete & Garage Floor Paint
Behr Premium Concrete & Garage Floor Paint is a water-based paint made to withstand any hot-tire pick, automotive fluids, and most household chemicals. It is an epoxy paint specially made to be used on concrete and garage floors, meaning that you are on the right track if you decide to buy and use such paint for the garage floor.
However, Behr Premium Concrete & Garage Floor Paint promises to provide a beautiful finish for your garage floors. It will also ensure that your garage floor is protected from chemicals and water.
Advantages of Using Behr Premium Concrete & Garage Floor Paint
- It will protect your garage floor from chemicals
- It will protect your garage floor from water. The paint is water-resistant. It is a water-based paint
- It can withstand hot-tire pick
- It can withstand automotive fluids
- It is available in pre-mix slate gray
- It is easy to apply, no-mix formula
- It comes with UV protection
- It will give your garage a satin finish
- It is durable. It last long
Supercoat Stone Epoxy Floor Coating is another best epoxy paint for garage floors. It is effortless to apply and comes with a feature that eliminates blisters and peeling. It does not require acid etching or any mechanical pre. You have to first mix the paint before applying. You have to apply the paint with a roller and scatter the flakes in the wet epoxy coating.
Supercoat Stone Epoxy Floor Coating comes with a breathable feature that allows it to vapor to pass through, ensuring that there is no blister and peeling, meaning that with this paint, you don’t have to worry about your garage floor peeling in no time.
Advantages of Using Supercoat Stone Epoxy Floor Coating on Garage Floors
- It is super easy to apply; just mix and apply with a roller
- It is a breathable paint that allows vapor to pass-through
- It comes with a feature that eliminates blisters and peeling
- It does not require acid etching or any mechanical prep
- It is durable and last long
- It comes with decorative flakes
- It is an anti-slip aggregate
5. Daich DaiHard 100 Industrial Strength Epoxy Floor Coating Kit
This is another type of paint that is suitable for garage floors. The manufacturers of this paint specified how awesome this paint would make your garage look, and many good reviews have been recieved by many who have used it for their garage floors.
When used for your garage floor, it will add a tough, high-performance finish to it. The fact that it comes with a 100% solids epoxy formula means that it is superior to typical water-based epoxy products. All you have to do is apply the paint using a roller or application squeegee and let it dry. When it dries, it will give your garage floor a smooth, beautiful finish.
Advantages of Daich DaiHard 100 Epoxy Floor Coating Kit
- It is made of 100% solids epoxy formula, meaning that it is better than other water-based epoxy paints.
- It does not pick up hot-tire
- It can cover up to 250 sq. ft. on bare concrete floors
- It is made to resist chemicals
- It can resist grease
- It can resist stain
6. Coloredepoxies Epoxy Resin Coating
If you are looking for a very flexible, odorless, and waterproof epoxy paint to use on your garage floor, Coloredepoxies Epoxy Resin Coating is the one you are looking for. The paint is flexible, odorless, and comes with waterproof elements that can resist mold and mildew. The fact that it is an odorless paint means you don’t have to be struggling to breathe when applying the paint.
Advantages of Using Coloredepoxies Epoxy Resin Coating on Garage Floor
- It will give your garage floor a super high gloss durable finish
- It will give your garage floor an attractive coloration that will WOW people
- It is flexible, meaning that it moves with a slight shift on the floor. It also means that it is easy to apply
- It comes in a big container that can cover up to 125 to 175 square feet on a single can. Impressive right?
- It is abrasion-resistant
- It is impact resistant
- It is odorless
7. Drylok E1 1-Part Epoxy Floor Paint
Drylok E1 1-Part Epoxy Floor Paint comes with an advanced epoxy ester resin fortified formulation to give your garage floor the adequate protection it needs from chemicals and hot tires. The paint is durable and suitable for garage floors.
Advantages of Using Drylok E1 1-Part Epoxy Floor Paint on Garage Floors
- It will protect your garage floor.
- It will give your garage floor a smooth finish.
- It comes with High traffic formula to deliver more excellent protection and durability.
- It drys in under 4 hours.
- It can cover up to 300sq.ft. to 400 sq. ft. per gallon.
- You only need two maximum coat to achieve the desired look.
- Recoating time after 4 hours first coating was applied
- It can resist chemicals.
- It can prevent hot tire pickup.
- It is UV/Fade resistant.
- It is washable.
- It is durable.
Advantages of Using Epoxy Paint for Garage Floor
There are several pros you can get from using epoxy paints, especially on your garage floor. Some of these advantages are:
- Epoxy paints are non-slippery: Most epoxy paints are non-slip and therefore very safe to be used on a garage floor. Even if your garage floor is rough, this paint is still suitable to be used on them.
- Epoxy paints are durable: If ever going to paint your bathroom, you should use durable paints. Not something that will peel or develop bubbles in no time resulting in you repainting the floor.
- Epoxy paints are cheap: The fact that you want to paint your floor means you are on a budget. It means that you want something relatively affordable. Well, I’m glad to tell you that epoxy paints are inexpensive and suitable for your garage floor.
- Epoxy Paints are easy to maintain: You don’t need to buy a paint that will give you a headache anything you want to maintain it. Epoxy paints are very easy to clean with soap and water.
- Epoxy Paints are Resistance to High Chemicals and Mechanical Loads: This is one primary reason why epoxy paints are suitable for garage floors. You don’t have to worry that the chemical and mechanical loads in your garage will leave an aftereffect on your floor. The paint will withstand them all.
- Epoxy Paints are Water Resistant: Most epoxy paints are water-based paints meaning that they have what it takes to protect your floor from moisture or water. With the use of epoxy paint on your garage floor, you won’t have to be afraid that water will make the paint blister or peel. It is waterproof paint.
- Epoxy Paints are Decorative in Nature: Most epoxy paints are decorative. They come with colorations and aesthetic quality for your garage floor. With epoxy paint, you have tons of styles and colors to choose from. If you are the type that likes matching your paint color with your interior’s color, you can quickly achieve that with epoxy paint.
Disadvantages of Using Epoxy Paint for Garage Floor
The only disadvantage of epoxy paints I’ve discovered so far is that it is hard to remove. A time may come when you may want to remove the paint from your garage floor; you will need a mechanical action before you can be able to remove it. Moreover, resin and hardener have to be mixed before applying most epoxy paints to the surface.
How to Apply Epoxy Paint on your Garage Floor
Applying epoxy paint on your garage floor is very simple. All you have to do is to follow the instruction written below.
- Clean your Garage Floor: The first thing you need to do is to clean your garage floor. You can clean or wash the floor with soap and water. While washing the floor, ensure to scrape off any fine materials that may have stuck on the floor.
- Apply Painter’s Masking Tape: Use painter’s masking tape to cover edges and areas of the garage floor where you don’t want the paint to touch. This is very important if you’re going to achieve an excellent looking job at the end. If you don’t cover these edges, excessive paints will get there and may destroy the beautiful look your garage would have been had you used the tap in the first place.
- Mix the paint: It is imperative to mix the epoxy paint before applying. Some manufactures will demand you mix the paint and stir for at least 5 minutes before applying. All you have to do is to read the manual before using the paint. The manual will tell you how to go about painting the floor.
- Apply the Epoxy Paint: The next thing to do is apply the paint to your garage floor. It is also pertinent to read the painting manual to see how you are told to do the job. That is if you want to do it by yourself. If you have not done any painting work before, I suggest you get a licensed painter to do the work for you.
- Add Texture Flakes: If the type of epoxy paint you are using on your garage floor requires the use of texture flakes, ensure to add it when necessary.
- Allow the Paint to Dry: After you’re done painting the foor and adding texture flakes, allow the paint to dry before using it. Do not be in a rush to use the garage when the paint is yet to dry.
If you wish to give your garage floor a long-lasting, water-resistant beautiful look, choose any of the paints mentioned above and use them for the floor. Ensure to follow the instruction written on the paint before applying, and after you have applied the paint, allow it to dry well before use. It is always advisable to use epoxy paints specially made for garage floors on garage floors for a better long-lasting feature.